Terms and Conditions
The FilmInk Grant terms and conditions (“Terms and Conditions”) set forth the Terms and Conditions which govern the writer’s (“Applicant’s”) participation in the FilmInk Grant organized jointly by Film Companion LLP (“Film Companion”) and A Suitable Agency (“A Suitable Agency”). By accepting these Terms and Conditions, Applicants agree to abide by all guidelines and rules posted by Film Companion and A Suitable Agency on the platform/website.
Definitions – Following words shall have the meaning provided as hereunder:
Application: an application form to be filled in English and be submitted along with an original proposal based on Indian film culture, a writing sample of at least 5000 words and a detailed plan for the proposed book. The application form includes personal details.
Applicant: a writer who is a citizen and resident of India, aged 18 or above, who submits an application for the FilmInk Grant.
Author: a writer who has been selected for the FilmInk Grant to receive the grant amount, who will write a monograph on Indian film culture.
Jury: a curated panel of writers associated with film culture studies selected and approved by Film Companion and A Suitable Agency
FilmInk Grant: Film Companion and A Suitable Agency’s film culture curating workshop to identify talented writers who can chronicle turning points in Indian cinema.
- Applications for the FilmInk Grant should include the following:
- An original, detailed proposal, of a minimum of 2000 words, outlining the reasons for choosing the subject and indicating its feasibility
- a writing sample of at least 5000 words
- a detailed plan for the completion of the book (a full length book is expected to be 50,000 words or above)
- The proposal should be in English, with full attribution where required to quotes and references.
- The grant is open to applicants a citizen of and residing in India.
- No more than one proposal may be made by each applicant.
- Submissions for the application may be made through the following link: www.filmink.in.
- The deadline for the application for the 2023 cycle is 15th August 2023.
- All applications will be perused by an impartial jury. Shortlisted candidates will be informed via email and will then meet the selection team for an interview conducted through Zoom/Google Meet/ in person.
- The Jury’s decisions are final and binding on all matters pertaining to the selection of shortlisted Applicants in the FilmInk Grant.
- 2 (two) Applicants will be selected to receive the FilmInk Grant. Each Author on the FilmInk Grant will receive a total amount of INR 250,000/- payable in 3 installments – as an advance of INR 1,00,000/-, INR 50,000/- on completion of 50% of the manuscript and the balance to be paid on submission of the manuscript.
- Applicants/Authors accept that they are not entitled to any additional payment or reimbursement of costs.
The FilmInk Grant:
- The aim of the FilmInk Grant is to foster a community of writers who will chronicle the diversity and aesthetic quality of Indian cinema. Applicants are expected to conduct their research with thoroughness and add value to the existing documentation of film culture.
- Applicants must clearly present their conceptualisation and framework for the book they plan to write.
- Selected Applicants agree that they shall enter into a separate agreement with FilmInk Grant, which will be provided upon the completion of the selection process.
- The Authors once granted the Filmink Grant will not be allowed to accept any other grant or fellowship for the duration of their obligation under the FilmInk Grant
- The final work is expected to be submitted within 10 months from the date of acceptance of the Filmink Grant.
- On submission of the manuscript, Film Companion and A Suitable Agency will work with the Authors, and provide all reasonable assistance with the intention of getting the book placed with a publishing house.
- By accepting the FilmInk Grant, Authors consent to the use and publication of their name, likeness and biographical information and proposal for advertising and promotional purposes related to the FilmInk Grant in any and all media throughout the world, without additional compensation, notification or permission. They agree to participate in reasonable marketing and promotional activities, if required.
- Film Companion and A Suitable Agency hold the right to promote the submitted monographs across their website and other platforms including but not limited to social media pages, YouTube channels and so on.
- All submitted proposals must be the Applicant’s original work.
- Film Companion and A Suitable Agency reserve the right to disqualify any Applicant from the FilmInk Grant if the Applicant or Author does not meet any of the criteria for eligibility and/or has not complied with the Terms and Conditions or has engaged in any conduct that is detrimental or unfair to Film Companion, A Suitable Agency, the FilmInk Grant or any other Applicant.
- If for any reason Film Companion and A Suitable Agency are not capable of running the FilmInk Grant as planned due to impracticability, technical failures, any event of force majeure (including without limitation act of god, strike, war, riots, flood, national emergencies pandemic/ epidemic), government measures, shortcomings by third parties that were engaged by Film Companion and A Suitable Agency, disruption of the internet connection, hardware failures, failures in (telecommunication) networks and other unforeseen circumstances such as inadequate quality or number of submitted applications, then Film Companion and A Suitable Agency may, in their sole discretion, modify/ alter these Terms & Conditions or cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the FilmInk Grant or working budgets or prizes awarded.
- All ownership and rights to the material submitted to this grant program remains with the original rights holders until and unless other agreements are made. Should your proposal be awarded the FilmInk Grant, you, the Author/Applicant grant/license/assign as required, to the fullest extent as required, rights in the submitted material to Film Companion and A Suitable Agency to perform any obligations or enforce any rights under these Terms and Conditions.
- Film Companion and A Suitable Agency will not be liable to the Authors or any third party engaged by them for any special, punitive, consequential, incidental, or exemplary damages (including lost or anticipated revenues or profits relating to the same or attorneys’ fees) arising from any claim relating to the Terms and Conditions or any of the rights granted hereunder or the performance of, or their failure to perform, any obligation under this Terms and Conditions.
- These Terms and Conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of India. Subject to the arbitration provisions herein below, the courts of Mumbai, India shall have exclusive jurisdiction with respect to any dispute arising out of these Terms and Conditions.
- In case of any disputes, claims, controversies or differences arising out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions or breach or validity hereof as well as in regard to interpretation or construction of these Terms and Conditions, the Applicant/Author along with Film Companion and A Suitable Agency shall amicably try to settle the dispute through mediation. If such disputes, claims, controversies, or differences cannot be resolved amicably by the parties, then the same shall be finally settled in accordance with the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996 and any amendments thereunder. The arbitration shall be conducted by a sole arbitrator to be appointed by mutual agreement between Film Companion, A Suitable Agency and the Applicant/Author. The language of arbitration will be English and the venue shall be Mumbai, India. The arbitration award shall be final and binding on the parties.
- Film Companion and A Suitable Agency may, in whole or in part, license, transfer or otherwise assign any or all of its rights, and/or delegate any its obligations, under these Terms and Conditions to any person or entity.
- The Applicants/Authors agree and warrant that they shall not assign or delegate or license the film and materials and any attempt to do so shall make these Terms and Conditions null and void.
- The Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between the Author/ Applicant and Film Companion and A Suitable Agency with respect to the subject matter herein and supersede all prior agreements and understandings, oral, written and implied, between Author/Applicant and Film Companion and A Suitable Agency with respect to the subject matter hereof and may not be altered or waived except by a writing signed by them and Film Companion and A Suitable Agency.
Applicants/Authors agree and understand that Film Companion and A Suitable Agency reserve all rights to make amendments, include new conditions to the existing Terms and Conditions or withdraw, change, alter, amend the mechanism of the FilmInk Grant detailed above without giving prior notice to the Applicant/Author. Applicants/Authors further understand and undertake that it is solely the responsibility of the Applicant/Author to visit this section of the website from time to time in order to be informed of the latest version of the Terms and Conditions. Film Companion and A Suitable Agency shall endeavor to make all reasonably practicable arrangements to ensure uptime of systems, back-up of data, server capacity and prevent other technical impediments, but can make no guarantee thereof and shall not in any manner be responsible for any technical problem with the internet and by participating in the FilmInk Grant, the Applicants/Authors agree not to hold Film Companion and A Suitable Agency liable for any such technical problem or shall have any claim in this regard. Further, while all attempts will be made to protect the application data from loss and/or corruption, Applicants/Authors hereby agree and acknowledge that all systems are prone to failure and hacking attempts. In the event of any data loss, Film Companion and A Suitable Agency shall make reasonable endeavors and may disqualify all applications received or conduct a fresh application process or continue with whatever data available in the manner it deems fit. Film Companion and A Suitable Agency will not be responsible for any damage resulting from the loss of data or action taken by Film Companion and A Suitable Agency on account of the same. Film Companion and A Suitable Agency shall not be responsible to make good any loss or dissatisfaction suffered by the Applicant/Author on account of such loss.
- The Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between the parties hereto with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersede all prior agreements and understandings, oral, written and implied, between the parties hereto with respect to the subject matter hereof.
- If any point or provision of the Terms and Conditions is illegal, invalid, or unenforceable under applicable current or future laws, then it is the intention of the parties that the remainder of the Terms and Conditions shall not be affected but shall remain in full force and effect.
- The headings of the sections of the Terms and Conditions are inserted for convenience only and shall not be deemed to constitute part of the Terms and Conditions or to affect the construction thereof.